Launch and Celebration of a new book
The Red Cockatoo
:James Kelman and the Art of Commitment
by Mitch Miller and Johnny Rodger
You are invited to the two day free event
Friday 7th October Glasgow Print Studio (103 Trongate) 7-9pm
Launch and conference opening party with live music, film, entertainment and refreshments
Saturday 8th October Hunterian Gallery, Kelman in the City Conference 1-6pm
At the invitation of Glasgow University, top speakers/academics come together to celebrate the publication of The Red Cockatoo and deliver papers/talks on Kelman’s engagement in the world of art and politics, activism, civics and anti-racism in Glasgow and beyond. This is of vital interest to those working on Art groups and politics forming around GSA in the 80s and 90s.
· Dr. Scott Hames , (Edinburgh companion to James Kelman (EUP) & forthcoming monograph on Kelman)
· Dr. Simon Kovesi (monograph on the novels of James Kelman, published by MUP)
· Johnny Rodger & Mitch Miller (Red Cockatoo) on the urban Kelman &Kelman by dialectogram –drawings
· Peter Kravitz, publisher of Kelman, at Polygon and Edinburgh Review, colleague of Kelman
· Dr. Sarah Lowndes (Social Sculpture, pub by Luath, a history of art & political movements in Glasgow 1980’s – present day)
There will also be a showing of some of excerpts of some of the previously unseen film footage of the Govan 1990 conference ‘Self Determination and Power’ with Kelman, Chomsky et al ,prepared by Malcolm Dickson , director of Streetlevel Gallery, colleague and collaborator with Kelman.
There will be a Wine Reception in the Hunterian 5-6pm
The Red Cockatoo: James Kelman and the Art of Commitment, a new book by Mitch Miller and Johnny Rodger will be launched at the conference.